Since last year, I’ve been itching to fly out somewhere. This time, it’s not about finding my self or escaping from a mistake (yeah, just like the rest of the human race, I ran off before from some very bad decision). But I’ve been looking for a workplace where it could offer me the convenient space to work with an affordable rates for freelancers. I wasn’t able to find one so I started doing a bit of traveling.
Fast-forward and a couple of times I’ve been in and out of the city, I couldn’t still find a space I want to spend my day in and out. There are a couple of co-working spaces here in Davao and most of them just sprouted recently. But I see a couple of issues from yet another co-worker‘s point of view.
- Spaces setup aren’t spacious. If it is, it’ll cost you much-much more.
- Most co-working prices are for SME (small-medium enterprise) folks.
- Fully-booked spaces.
- If some exist that I’m not aware of, they don’t market enough. If they don’t market enough, they simply don’t need me/no room for me.
- Missing a bit of interior flavor and mixed work-and-play.
- Missing some digital nomad needs.
You might ask why not work from home. I got 3 answers for now:
- I was working from a studio apartment where I sleep, work, eat (and …sleep again?) all in the same very room. And our house (which where I’m currently staying) isn’t conducive for daily-brain-squeezing-yet-fun-tasks I deal in work.
- I always like working with people around—it inspires me when I see them working hard esp. when at one point I see myself slacking/procrastinating, and there’s more to it.
- High speed and reliable internet is pretty expensive here. Can be justified when shared with same paid individuals.
I’m here in my room at my parent’s house and it’s been months since I’m back and it’s been months since I’ve been checking out (cheap) flight bookings because of the same drive.
There’s no escaping this time. I’m gonna let myself face it with whatever I have. I don’t want to go home again thinking I’ve got nowhere else to go to work conveniently.